Monday, 8 July 2013

Dear Big Boy (aged three)

-->
Dear Big Boy,

Well you are now, aren’t you? Today you turn three years old.  The last few months have been all about the Big Boy bed, the Big Boy pants and the ‘now you’re a Big Boy, you can do this!’ talks.

Every year is a milestone in childhood, but turning three seems a big one. So many toys are not suitable for under 36 months. You start to pay to get into attractions like the zoo. You get a preschool place. Suddenly, in the eyes of the big, wide world you are a presence, you count; you are a boy and no longer a baby.

I won’t lie, I am struggling a bit with this. Just this morning we were sitting in bed and I was gazing at your pudgy, little feet. My eyes then moved up to your squidgy legs and up again to your perfectly rotund tummy. As my eyes settled on your big, blue eyes framed with those lovely, long lashes I was reminded of how I still find you so adorably cute and baby like. Even though you are now three. I wonder if it’s because being the youngest, will always be my baby and therefore I will always see the baby in you.

You have changed a lot in the last year, though some of your passions remain. You are still a big fan of stones, particularly throwing them into anything that will make a big splash. Your new love is snails. You have about 20 in your collection, all different colours, sizes and patterns. You don’t like the ones with ‘slugs’ in them though!

Other loves in your life include jigsaws, parks, pirates, bugs, sea creatures, shapes, cake, hot chocolate, your ‘Big Doggy’, digging in the mud and basketball.

You are a very affectionate boy. You love kisses and cuddles and when I kiss you, you demand, ‘I want yots!’ (lots). You regularly say to me ‘Mummy! I yove you so much!’. I will never get bored of hearing those words.

At home you are very chatty and like to laugh, joke and have a giggle. You’re quite different out of the home environment. You don’t feel comfortable when people who don’t know you very well talk to you. You give them a very serious look. We have been going to music group for the past 6 weeks or so and I am so proud that finally you are starting to speak to the leader of the class and join in with the songs. I hope over the next year you begin to feel more confident around people outside your immediate family.

You love numbers and have been able to count and recognise numbers to ten for nearly a year now. You love to count things, spot numbers when we are out and about and look at number books. You can nearly count to twenty, but you miss out 15. Funnily enough, just like your sister used to. You are starting to take an interest in sounds and letters. You love the IPad and can form some of the easier letters on one of the games we have, and numbers too. You even traced your name using a pen last week. You loved it and kept asking me to write more words for you.

You are becoming more and more imaginative. You and your sister like to go on adventures. When you wear a certain shirt, you are apparently called James and your sister suddenly starts talking with an American accent. You guys make me laugh so much. When you eat your pancake in the morning, you tell me how it looks like a wheel. Then you take a bite and say it’s a boat. Then you take a few more bites and it’s a rainbow. The world is an exciting place when you are three.

You were going to start Preschool just after your second birthday. Instead I decided to keep you at home with me full time for another year. We have had a wild time together. You are due to start preschool now in September. I am dreading it and looking forward to it in equal measures. Part of me thinks I want to keep you to myself for another year, but I feel it is time to start letting go a little and let you venture out in the world for a few hours by yourself. I’ve started to notice you will talk to people more when I take a step back so hopefully this is the right time for you.

It’s another year before you start school. Although some of your time will be spent at Preschool, I am going to cherish every day I spend with you. Watching you grow, develop and continue to be excited and amused by the world around you.

Please don’t go too quickly time.

Until next year my beautiful, special Big Boy.

All the love to the moon and back,

Mummy xxxxxxx






2 comments:

  1. What better way to celebrate Theo than by recording your thoughts and feelings on his birthday. Hope I don't have to wait this long for the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I hope your son had a great third birthday! I'm Heather and I have a question about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail.com :-)

    ReplyDelete

Go on, put a smile on my face and leave me a comment. Thank you! :-)