Saturday, 7 January 2012

Listography: My 5 top Bests


Kate's listography this week is your five Bests. It can be best anything: best day, best decision, best drink... the list is endless.

With 31 years worth of potential material, this took a lot of thinking. But I got there eventually. Here we go:

Best meal – last November The Hubster took me on a surprise trip to Amsterdam for my birthday.  One night we went to the Yamazato restaurant in our hotel, the only Japanese restaurant in Europe to have been awarded a Michelin star. Going to a Michelin starred restaurant is not something we regularly do so we thought, 'what the hell' and went for the 8 course set meal. It was absolutely divine. It took us about 2 hours to get through all the courses and we savoured every mouthful. 



Best sunrise – August 2006. Sorrento.  The night before had been spent in the hotel restaurant eating good food, giggling raucously and drinking copious amounts of wine from the vineyard next door. A few hours later after minimal kip The Hubster (to be at that point) dragged my hungover body out of bed and to the balcony. There we sat, holding hands watching the sunrise. And eventually, after an extremely long awaited 6 (GOD DAMN!!) months,  he told me he loved me. Everybody, say 'ahhhhhh'.  There is a little more to this story, but I think it deserves a blog post of it’s own: watch this space!


Best trip – The trip I took in the summer of 2002 with my Mum. We raced around the streets of Bangkok in a tut-tut, climbed the Sydney Harbour Bridge, threw ourselves off a cliff in Byron Bay, snorkeled in Cairns and then partied the nights away in Las Vegas.

Best wedding. My own. Of course. I was never the type to dream of my wedding day. I didn’t want to wear a white dress, I didn’t want to spend £1000s on flowers, bridesmaids dresses and expensive venues. So we did it our way. We walked down the aisle to Finlay Quaye’s ‘Your Love Gets Sweeter.’ We did the promising to love each other forever bit. We walked out to ‘Baby I Love to You’ by The Ramones. We drank Pimms in the sun with our marvellous friends and family. We walked (all 100 of us!) through the lovely city of Norwich to a pub and had some grub and a few toasts were made. And then we danced the night away to my favourite local ska band. Not traditional, but still one of the best days of my life.

Couldn't resist the white dress in the end!


Best single moment(s) – those two single moments when my babies were handed to me for the first time. If I could go back and relive anything it would be these precious seconds. 

Three generations of girlies.


 Now I'm off to see other people bests at Kate Takes 5.


17 comments:

  1. What a great post!!I love your wedding photo,your dress was great & you all look smiley.As for the birth of your babies,I know exactly what you mean :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is soooo lovely. Love your song choices, and Japanese food - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW - thank you for having me in your blog roll - very honoured!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely that you enjoyed a great trip with your Mum! I couldn't have done that, but I so hope GG can when she is older! Beautiful wedding pic :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice list! What I wouldn't do for that sunrise right about now.

    http://saveeverystep.wordpress.com - family stories past and present

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so lucky to have bests from all over the world! This is a wonderful list. And your final best made me weepy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! Love your wedding! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thought the wedding pic was lovely but that final one beats it. Lovely post and you sound to have had many blessings

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your wedding sounds AWESOME!!! And that shot of you guys walking through town is just amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your list! Stunning wedding pic and love the pic of 3 generations xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You threw yourself off a cliff with your mum? YOUR MUM? She must be the coolest Mum ever ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You sound like you have had such an amazing life

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone for lovely comments. Yes I have been darn lucky. And yes, I did really throw myself of a cliff with my Mum. Well, actually, I think I went first (after being convinced by said Mum that it was a 'great idea') strapped to some stranger's back and then she followed. Yes, she is possibly the coolest Mum ever. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great post! Beautiful photos and beautiful stories behind them x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your last best brought a tear to my eye! It's such a beautiful memory, I think that is why we forget the pain and go on to have more because it's such a wonderful moment.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, put a smile on my face and leave me a comment. Thank you! :-)